Australia plays host to several million visitors a year. Whether you are a tourist waiting to explore the colours of the outback and the excitement of the cities, or a professional wishing to do business, you will need a valid visa to enter and spend time in Australia.
Electronic Travel Authority
An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit and Australian visa office to submit an application.
This option is only available to passport holders of ETA-eligible countries.
An ETA is valid for a period of 12 months or until your passport expires (whichever is sooner) and will permit multiple entry to Australia, providing no single visit exceeds 3 months.
Who can apply?
You are only eligible to apply for an ETA while you are outside of Australia.
Travellers holding the following passports may now apply for an ETA through this site:
The conditions on a Visitor ETA are:
- It is valid for visits to Australia for tourism or to visit friends or relatives.
- It is valid for multiple visits within 12 months from the date of issue
- The maximum length of each visit is three months
- You may not work while in Australia.
The conditions on a Short Validity Business ETA are:
- It is valid for a visit to Australia for business meetings, conventions, conferences or a short term project requiring a high level of skill. This does not include being employed by a company in Australia;
- It is valid for multiple visits within 12 months from the date of issue;
- The maximum length of the visit is three months.
The conditions on a Long Stay Validity Business ETA are:
- The holder must have a genuine intention and need to come to Australia temporarily for Business;
- Not propose to stay for more than three months at each entry;
- Have adequate funds to support themselves while in Australia;
- Not intend to undertake study which could lead to a formal award;
- Not intend to engage in any activities which could adversely affect employment or training in Australia;
- Have personal qualities and a business background related to their stay in Australia;
- Meet the requirements for lodging a valid visa application;
- Meet health, character, public interest and special return requirements.